SLEEP APNEA TREATMENT IN CHESTER, VA
Snoring is a common condition for many; in fact, it’s estimated that over 80 million people in North America snore while sleeping. Chronic snoring can cause a range of problems, especially with a person’s quality of sleep. But snoring doesn’t just affect the sleep for the snorer; it can also affect the sleep of their loved ones and other family members.
CAUSES OF SNORING
Snoring can be caused by a number of reasons. Typically, snoring occurs when your throat and mouth muscles and tissues relax while you sleep; this causes your airway to become smaller. The decreased space in the airway makes it more difficult for each breath to get through the passage; when a breath does make it through, the air moves over the soft tissues in your mouth and throat, causing a vibration that results in the snoring sound. Other factors that can lead to snoring include:
- Excess body weight
- Alcohol consumption
- Certain sedatives or sleep aids
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
Luckily, there are now preventative methods to reduce snoring problems in patients. Our office offers mandibular advancement devices (MAD) to help reduce and prevent snoring, allowing you a better night’s sleep.
SLEEP APNEA SYMPTOMS
Sufferers who go without sleep apnea treatment leave themselves at risk for several serious health conditions. It is important to seek medical help if you experience any of the following sleep apnea symptoms:
- Chronic, loud snoring every night
- Gasping, choking, or snorting while sleeping
- Breathing pauses
- Waking up during sleep, short of breath
- Sleepiness and exhaustion throughout the day, regardless of how many hours spent in bed
MANDIBULAR ADVANCEMENT DEVICES (MAD)
The MAD is a specially designed dental device that is worn similarly to a mouthguard and meant to be worn as you sleep. The MAD gently pushes the lower jaw—also known as the mandible—in a forward position. This helps increase the space in your airway as you sleep, allowing you to breathe easier, and sleep better, without snoring.
BENEFITS OF MANDIBULAR ADVANCEMENT DEVICES
- This device increases your airway, allowing you to breathe easier.
- Reduces chronic snoring problems in patients.
- MAD is comfortable to wear, allowing you to sleep peacefully without discomfort.
- MAD can even help eliminate snoring in patients with allergies and sinus congestion.